Here's another banana bread recipe that's gluten free, wheat free and grain free. It's adapted from the Nourished Kitchen Guide to Grain-free, Dairy-free Baking, Sweets and Treats.
I made this for some friends and they loved it. I didn't have chocolate chips, and they are very hard to find there (in Mexico). So instead I bought a bar of milk chocolate and cut it into ‘chip' sized pieces with a chopping knife. I actually prefer my ‘homemade chocolate chips' to commercially bought ones because they taste better and you have the option of choosing to use healthier chocolate. In hindsight I thought this would really nice with some chopped pecans (or walnuts) added to it.
5-6 ripe bananas
6 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup roasted almond butter (organic roasted almond butter preferably)
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup coconut flour
4 tablespoons almond flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Beat wet ingredients together.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Grease a baking pan with coconut oil. I used a 6″ x 10″ glass baking pan. (Coconut oil in it's solidified state can be used like shortening to grease a baking pan – but it's much healthier for you).
- Bake at 375 F for about 40 minutes. Check that it's done by inserting a toothpick into the center, if it comes out clean the cake is done.
- Let cool before cutting.
Variations & Serving Suggestions:
- Serve spread with cream cheese or butter
- Add chopped nuts like pecans (maybe 1/2 a cup or so)
- Add chopped dates instead of chocolate chips